Gard Provence







Gard Provence  home page Gard Provence  home page
Search:
Towns and villages
 Discover the regions of Gard Provencal ::
  ACROSS THE BRIDGE FROM AVIGNON ::
Pujaut
Between Ceze and Ardeche rivers In the Cotes du Rhone Cevennes foothills Across the bridge from Avignon Near the Pont du Gard Around Uzes Tave river valley
 Click to visit town,
 village or monument :: Sainte Baume Roquemaure Sauveterre Pujaut Les Angles Rochefort du Gard Saze Villeneuve les Avignon Tavel Lirac Saint Laurent des Arbres
 
 Pujaut
  on gard-provencal.com ::

Pujaut

Pujaut
Pujaut
Population :: 3300
Market :: Thursday/Saturday
Village   
festival ::
St. James the Greater (25 July), lasting 4 days
Town hall :: 04 90 26 40 20
   
Pujaut 
Pujaut, situated on the right bank of the Rhône, belongs to the canton of Villeneuve lès Avignon. It is said that this village is "the step between Provence and Languedoc." It covers a surface of 2270 hectares, and it borders the districts of Rochefort du Gard, Les Angles, Villeneuve lès Avignon, Tavel, and Avignon. It is set on the side of a hill, 8 km from Avignon and 40 km from Nîmes. Agriculture still plays an important role in the life of the town; the people of Pujaut appreciate the quality of life they can enjoy in the countryside but at the gates of a large town.
 
shops All shops and services, as well as a welcome center for tourists.
A number of events are organized by various associations of Pujaut all year round; these events give the town a feeling of enthusiasm and dynamism. It's good to live in Pujaut.
heritage The church, with its two bell-towers, was built in the mid-14th century. Its bell has a circumference of 3 meters, and it dates from 1512. The high altar is made of very rare green marble; the communion table at the center is made of red marble.
Le Site de la Vierge (The Site of the Virgin): a cast-iron statue measuring 2 meters in height dates from 1864. This site overlooks the village, and it has a remarkable view.
Two magnificent wash-houses: the castle wash-house and the "lavoir des 4 tuyaux."
Adventurous visitors will be rewarded not only with the sight of old buildings, but also with beautiful views -- of the village, of the rich plain of the Comtat, and of the majestic Mont Ventoux.
history Pujaut was built on the site of a former pond, which for centuries had belonged to the bishops of Avignon. The pond was drained by Carthusian monks in the early 17th century, which doubled the amount of cultivable land. Thus the unfortunate fishermen of Pujaut were forced to become farmers. After growing hemp and madder, farmers began to cultivate fruit trees and vineyards.
local products All the fruits that are bursting with sunshine: apples, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, nectarines, kiwis, and grapes.
 
The well-known local wine and Côtes du Rhône. The production unit is located on the edge of the R.N. 580 highway. The Carthusian winecellar is open every day.